Thursday, August 29, 2013

Sally Girl single eyeshadow review

Sometimes when I look at all the shiny-ness around and then realize my wallet is close to empty, it makes me sad. I have quite a pokemon thing going on with all the lovely fall releases - gotta catch 'em all! - but unfortunately my wallet won't cooperate so I'm left hanging.

Well desperate times call for desperate measures and as a makeup junkie I'm all about finding cheap ways to get a fix; but for the sake of propriety we'll just say that I'm all about discovering new brands ;)


Sally Girl is an in-house brand of Sally Beauty, which is a beauty supply chain here. They have a range of products from hair care to makeup and Sally Girl is their makeup brand, and has products for nails, eyes and lips.


I caught sight of these one day when I aimlessly wandered into my nearest Sally Beauty (to this day I can't recall what made me go in there) but when I saw these cute little eyeshadows I knew I needed to try them out!




These are single eyeshadow pans that hold 0.04oz (1.1g) of product - not a whole lot but for the price (I paid $0.90 each) it is totally worth it.




The surface of the shadow has a rippled, wavy effect to it that I find adorable.


The shades I picked up were:


  • Taupe
  • Cinnamon
  • Expresso
  • Olive
I tried to choose more neutral shades because those are the kind I use regularly, and I really wanted to see if the quality of these shadows would incline me to use them on a daily basis.


I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and silky these were. I had fairly low expectations, but these were really good! They were soft, and blended easily. I would almost call them buttery. They are a little bit on the chalky side, but it's not very noticeable.

The best part about these singles? You can attach them together to make your own custom palette!


As you can see from the previous photo (not the one on top) the shadows have a ridge-like protrusion on one end and a groove on the other end. So the ridge on one eyeshadow fits into the groove of the next, and so on.

Here's a demo of what I mean:


See what I mean? This is awesome, because you can store all of them together, and make a palette of your own choice of colors!

Onto the swatches:

L-R: Taupe, Cinnamon, Expresso, Olive

L-R: Taupe, Cinnamon, Expresso, Olive
As you can see from the swatches above Taupe is a little chalky but rest assured it is nevertheless a lovely color. I'm particularly fond of Cinnamon and Expresso, they are easy to wear neutral shades. Olive is definitely my favorite, it's not so dark that you can't wear it during the day but it isn't too light, I can wear this as an all over color, slap on some eyeliner and lipstick and I'm all set to go.

To sum up, these aren't by any means the best eyeshadows out there. But for the price they're a lovely little pick, and should you find yourself with limited means but in need of something new I would recommend that you pick up a shade or two.


I also think these are a great way to try out a color that you have your eye on but hesitant to fully commit to - sort of a test drive if you will.


BGMM Rating: B+

2 comments:

  1. I would never be able to do this! I refuse to buy anything without copious amounts of research going into it :o

    But that olive colour does look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard about these, so decided to give it a shot. I was surprised though. I though it would turn out to be a dud!

      Delete