Saturday, August 10, 2013

Jordana Twist & Shine Moisturizing Balm Stain Review

This seems to be the time of the lip crayon, and I must admit, I'm a huge fan of these. Ever since Revlon released their now-infamous Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain (it was a mouthful back then, and it still is a mouthful even now!), cosmetics companies have jumped onto the bandwagon, and both drugstore and department brands have come out with their version of the chubby lip crayon.

Jordana has also joined the game, and in my opinion they've done a wonderful job of it!


There are 8 shades in the line, and these are:


  • Nude Chic
  • Sweet Pink
  • Tropical Frenzy
  • Candied Coral
  • Honey Love
  • Cranberry Crush
  • Rock N Rouge
  • Terra Crush

I managed to get the shades Rock N Rouge and Cranberry Crush at Walgreens, and I will be reviewing them today.




Rock N Rouge is a true red with warm undertones. It applies smoothly on my lips - even on dry, parched lips I had no issues as far as application was concerned. They have a faint fruity smell; however this is not very noticeable an I was only able to detect it when I actively tried to smell them. They feel so comfortable on the lips, like you're wearing nothing, and they do provide some degree of moisturizing. However if you're afflicted with chronic dry lips I would suggest you use a lip balm prior to using these for added comfort.

A single swipe provides almost opaque coverage, but additional swipes give a completely opaque finish. The finish is glossy, but not the kind of finish you'd get from applying lip gloss - I daresay I could call this a satin finish? Nevertheless this doesn't sink into or emphasize your lip lines, and it really is very flattering when worn.


Rock N Rouge is a true red with warm undertones. It has fine shimmer interspersed throughout - this is not noticeable at all, and doesn't feel gritty. This is the more pigmented of the two, and a single swipe provide decent coverage.


On me it lasts for 4-5 hours (through a little bit of eating and drinking) and as it wears off it leaves the most wonderful stain behind. It fades evenly and doesn't slip and slide off the lips.


I believe that this will suit everyone - those who are scared of a bright lip can wear this in a more muted fashion while those loving attention-grabbing shades can wear it at full opacity. I'm loving this color for the summer and I believe that it instantly brightens up your complexion!



Unfortunately my camera doesn't seem to pick up the true tones of this color; it looks like it has a tinge of pink to it but in real life it pulls orange.

Cranberry Crush is a pinky-mauve shade, but can be built up to a deeper berry finish. This shade does not have any shimmer in it, and it is also the less pigmented one. A single swipe on my lips leaves me with a MLBB color, but I love how I can build up the color to a deeper look. 

Being a little less pigmented means it lasts a little less on my lips - I managed to get 3 hours of wear through drinking before I had to re-apply. Like Rock N Rose it fades evenly, but the stain left behind is softer and more subtle (on my pigmented lips it left me with a MLBB-like stain; those with less pigmented lips will see deeper staining).


I love that this shade can work both as a MLBB shade for those with pigmented lips (when worn sheerly) or as a deeper, more dramatic color when built up. The color would look great for fall, and I can see myself rocking it during the cooler months.



I love the pretty berry shade!

Overall, I highly recommend these! For the price ($2.99) you get an amazing product that moisturizes your lips, is very pigmented, and has decent lasting power. I find myself reaching out for these over my Revlon balm stains or my Tarte lipsurgence!


L-R: Rock N Rouge, Cranberry Crush (flash)

Top-bottom: Rock N Rouge, Cranberry Crush (no flash)


BGMM rating: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment