Friday, August 23, 2013

Ipsy August 2013 Bag!

Given that I follow quite a few blogs it's inevitable that I occasionally come across a new product that makes me drool. But you never really know if a product is going to work out for you or not, and it makes little sense to rush out and purchase it, if you're eventually going to hate it.

Which is why I think the concept of beauty subscriptions help, as they give me a chance to try out new brands and products without investing too much of my money.

Ipsy's August Glam Bag theme is Glamour Academy. The products I received are:

  • Pixi Beauty Lash Booster Mascara (sample) - $7
  • Michael Todd Pumpkin Nutrient Rich Facial Mask (sample) - $10
  • Nyx Rouge Cream Blush (full size) - $6
  • Noya Lip Balm (full size) - $4
  • Pacifica Alight Multi-Mineral BB Cream (sample) - $5 
So let's get started, shall we?

First off, the bag itself:





Did you notice something off about the bag? The print is reversed!! It's supposed to read "Ipsy, Glamour Academy" on the crest, but the words are a mirror image - they've been reversed. I'm someone who's a little OCD about things like that, and this just rubbed me the wrong way. Isn't there someone who should be overseeing things like this? It's such a pity, given that the bag itself is a lovely rich purple color. Shame, really.




Pixi Lash Boost Mascara is a black, waterproof mascara. I like the small bristles as they help me reach all my lashes. However, the formula was so dry! It had dried out in the tube. As you can see from the swatch above, it was just unusable. It's a pity, because it was really waterproof, and didn't budge one bit. 



Michael Todd Pumpkin Nutrient Rich Facial Mask is a lovely product. This is something worth looking into, if you're a fan of glycolic acid masks. This is the first glycolic acid mask I've used, and I'm impressed. The mask is supposed to contain high concentrations of proteolytic enzymes, beta carotene, vitamins, minerals, phytosterols and fatty acids, along with glycolic acid. It smells like pumpkin bread (is there even a thing like that?) You can use the mask every fortnight, and it's recommended that you wear sunscreen after using this product (but you should be wearing sunscreen daily anyway!)

It worked great on my oily skin, and after using it I noticed that my skin looked brighter. Even hubby noticed! It was gentle, and I didn't have an adverse reaction to it. I really like this product.






I have to admit when I saw the Nyx Rouge Cream blush in pan, I was scared. It's so orange! And I wasn't very happy that it was a cream formula... especially since I'm so oily and face products generally get eaten up my skin pretty quickly.

However when I swatched it, it wasn't bright orange, but a softer orange with pink tones. Sort of like an amplified peachy-coral shade, if you will. It looks lovely on my cheeks, is fairly simple to use, and on dusky gals it really makes your face glow! I'm happy with this, and even though it lasts about 4 hours on my cheeks, I like the formula enough to want to explore other shades from this range.





I took one look at the lip balm and thought to myself "Are they serious?" Noya is a brand I've never come across. They are a kosher, natural lip care company. I received the flavor in vanilla. It's a nice enough lip balm, nothing special about it. It's always nice to have a lip balm, but given that the alternative to this product was freakin' Urban Decay Revolution lipstick, I was pretty mad that I got this instead. It seems kind of dinky by comparision, no? Especially since I have one of the Urban Decay Revolution lipsticks (reviewed here) and it pretty much blew my mind. Sigh. Oh well. Next time, Ipsy!



Partially blended

Completely blended

Oh BB creams, how you amuse me. Pacifica's Alight Multi-Mineral BB cream is supposed to even out your skin and give it a glow. 
Well, there's a glow all right - since the formula is loaded with microglitter! The one-tint-suits-all doesn't fly - as you can see it's far too light for my skin color. I gave it a shot on my face, but the fact that the microglitter settled into my pores gave me a fright and I took it off immediately.
This was a huge miss for me. The formula itself is rather runny, and leaves me even oilier than I usually am. Those with paler skins that are normal/dry might enjoy this, as long as you're looking for something extremely sheer. (It's so sheer you might as well wear your moisturizer mixed with mica or something.)

Overall... compared to the July bag this was slightly better, nevertheless the fact that I received products I couldn't use at all (the Pixi mascara) and some that didn't work for me (Pacifica BB cream) didn't really thrill me. Nevertheless the Michael Todd mask was a really great product, and I did love the Nyx blush, so it wasn't a total bust.

BGMM rating: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment